Broker Check

Correcting Your Social Security Earnings Record

August 15, 2023

When it comes to your money matters, your Social Security earnings record is a very important document. It's the statement that determines what benefits you'll get down the road. That is why it is critical to review this document periodically for error and missing information. If you find that the details listed on your earnings records are incorrect there is no need to worry.  You've got the power to fix it. Let's dive into how you can better secure your financial future by setting your Social Security record straight.

If you need to correct your Social Security earnings record, you can follow these steps:

  1. Gather Documentation: Collect all relevant documents that prove your earnings for the years you believe are incorrect. This might include-

    - W-2 Forms: W-2 forms are typically provided by your employer and show your total earnings for the year, as well as the amount of Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld. These forms are strong evidence of your earnings and are widely accepted by the SSA.

    - Pay Stubs: Your pay stubs from the years in question can serve as evidence of your earnings. They should clearly display your gross earnings, deductions, and other relevant information.

    - Tax Returns: Copies of your federal tax returns, specifically the Form 1040 and any accompanying schedules, can help establish your income for the years in question. The tax returns should show your total income, including wages and any other sources.

    - Employment Records: Any official employment records or letters from employers that detail your earnings for the specific years can also be submitted as evidence. 

    - Bank Statements: Bank statements that show regular deposits from your employer can help support your claim of missing earnings. These statements should correspond to the years you're concerned about.

    - Contracts or Agreements: If you had contracts, freelance agreements, or other legal documents related to your work during the missing years, these could also be useful to establish your earnings.

    - Other Official Records: Any other official documents that show your earnings, such as documentation related to government assistance programs, housing, or other financial matters, can be used as supplementary evidence. When submitting these documents to the SSA, make sure to include clear and legible copies. It's a good idea to organize the documents by year and clearly label them to indicate the purpose of each document.

  2. Create an Account: If you haven't already, created an account on the Social Security Administration (SSA) website at This account will allow you to access your earnings record and make corrections online.

  3. Review Earnings Record: Log into your SSA account and review your earnings record. Make sure to cross-reference it with the documents you've collected to identify any discrepancies.

  4. File a Correction: There are a few ways to file a correction:

    • Online: If you have an SSA account, you can use their online form to report corrections. Follow the instructions provided and upload the necessary documents as evidence.

    • Phone: You can call the SSA at their toll-free number (1-800-772-1213) and speak to a representative. Explain the situation and follow their guidance on submitting documentation.

    • In Person: You can visit your local SSA office and speak to someone in person. It's a good idea to call ahead to schedule an appointment, as wait times can vary.

    • Mail: If you prefer to submit your correction by mail, you can download and complete Form SSA-7008 (Request for Correction of Earnings Record). Mail the form along with copies of the supporting documents to your local SSA office.

  5. Follow Up: After submitting your correction request, follow up to ensure that the correction is processed. You can monitor the status of your request through your SSA account or by contacting the SSA directly.

  6. Keep Records: Make sure to keep copies of all the documents you submit and any correspondence with the SSA regarding your correction request. This will be important for your records in case any issues arise in the future.

Remember that correcting your Social Security earnings record might take some time, so be patient throughout the process. If you're unsure about any steps or have specific questions, don't hesitate to reach out to the Social Security Administration for assistance.